MEMORIAL JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Parent Involvement Plan
PURPOSE: Memorial Junior High School follows the guidelines of Tulsa Public Schools by promoting parental involvement as mandated by Title 1, No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and works as an equal partner with parents in providing quality learning experiences for every student, every day without exception.
The school believes and acknowledges that parent involvement raises the academic achievement level of students. Additionally it believes that parents become empowered, teacher morale improves and communities grow stronger when parents take an active role in the education of their children. To this end, Memorial Junior High shall involve parents at all grade levels. The Title 1 Parent Coordinator shall provide coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist in planning and implementing effective parent involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance. Public Law 107-110, No Child Left Behind: section 1118-Title 1 Parent Involvement establishes that to build capacity for parent involvement within schools. A district is to “develop jointly with, agree on with, and distribute to parents of participating children a written Parent Involvement Policy”.
Building Parents Capacity for Involvement
Memorial Junior High School believes that empowering parents to insist on improvement and giving schools extra incentive to do so and b y giving parents options regarding their children’s education helps the school to realize its intention to work with parents as equal partners in the education of their children. MJHS hopes to create an environment of supportive and collaborative parent involvement.
1. Program Information for Parents: MJHS will provide assistance to its parents in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content and achievement standards, the assessments being used, the requirements of Title 1, Part A, No Child Left Behind (NCLB) and how to monitor their children’s progress and work with educators to improve their achievement.
2. Materials and Training: MJHS will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve achievement.
3. Educate Educators: Memorial Junior High will educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals, and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs, and build ties between parents and the school.
4. Understandable Communication: Memorial Junior High will ensure that information related to school and parents programs, meetings and other activities is sent to the parents in a format and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
5. Other Activities: Memorial Junior High shall provide other reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request.
6. Resources and Other Opportunities: Memorial Junior High uses many resources and activities to assist parents. Some of those activities and resources are:
· Title 1 Parent Meetings
· Title 1 Resources Area
· School Music Programs
· Parent Conferences/Newsletters
· Book Fairs
· Cheer and sporting events
· Parent speakers
· Take your child to work events
· Many volunteer opportunities including field trips, school dances and test monitoring
· Parent Information Tour
· Fine Arts Nights
· Poetry Nights
· Math Family Nights
Adopted: October 2013, Updated 2017
Legal Reference: No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, P.L. 107-110, Title 1